Friday, April 5, 2013

A Monk Seal, what a pleasure ( and Red Cabbage Goulash Cornbread)

I took a walk near the end of the workday because I heard that K12, the Hawaiian Monk Seal that survived a shark attack had beached in front of Pono Kai resort. The seal response team had already roped off the area and were available to answer questions. There are an estimated 1100 remaining Hawaiian Monk Seals, so they are beyond endangered at this point. This was the first one I saw on my vacation to Kauai.

Amazingly, in 2009, Charles Vidnha, shot and killed a pregnant monk seal. Many people were outraged that he only spent 90 days in jail and was issued at $25.00 fine. There were also two Molokai seals that were found bludgeoned to death. No arrests were made, if you are local on Molokai, it is very unlikely you will ever be arrested for anything.

There are efforts to convince the locals on the Hawaiian Islands to quit being a big part of the problem. For instance, many school kids write essays on monk seals. Here are two of my favorites.

Anyway, all that walking made me hungry. I decided to do a Goulash, but instead of the macaroni, make it as a cornbread. I also decided to make it vegetarian. Instead of ground beef or another meat, I used red cabbage.

1.5 cups corn meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 onion chopped finely
1/2 cup red cabbage chopped coarsely
10 fresh cherry tomatoes ( from the garden)
1 tsp garlic
Water, milk, veggie or chicken broth till it is the right consistency (I used water)
Salt, paprika, chili powder to taste

Mix pour into a non-stick skillet, put on the range on low head to make the bottom a bit crusty, put in broiler to make the top crusty. NOTE: my big skillet was busy at the time, so I made it thicker than intended, if it is about 1/2" you are done at the point. I put it in the oven for twenty minutes to make sure the middle was cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment