Saturday, July 11, 2015

Blueberry healthy pastry breakfast

As a chef, you try to please your consumers and also meet their needs. I am not gluten intolerant, (in fact I love high quality durum flour pasta), but I know people that are.  I wake up hungry and ready for breakfast, but Kathy and my friend Rudy need time to get their systems going.

So today, I made a gluten free pastry that can be left out till someone wants to eat it.

Mix right in a small non-stick skillet, equal parts:
hemp hearts
walnut pieces
quick oats
low fat shredded cheese as binder

Add agave to taste, I do not go very sweet, same thing with cinnamon. I did not add any salt, but a pinch would taste good, I added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.

The liquid is egg whites, you want to get to a mixture slightly dryer than a blueberry pancake mix.

After the mixture is stirred, add blueberries, I tend to be generous and went for a half cup, with the egg and cheese as binder and a careful approach to cooking they will not overwhelm the pastry, (I gently smash them a bit before adding).

Cover the pan, put on a low heat, let cook while you drink a cup of coffee. Turn off the heat, let it rest. Now, comes inspection time. Is there enough binder, has it rested enough that you can flip it? In my case no, so I finished the top under the broiler.


No comments:

Post a Comment