Tuesday, June 4, 2013

First Washington State Paddle of 2013

Killer weather, we started work at 5:00 AM and at 2:30 PM, we took out the canoe for the first time on the lake. Got to catch up with Ron and Lynn, she is now retired, so they are both retired now though Ron works three days a week to keep health insurance.

Saw one of the bald eagles, and they are still being harassed by the crows, why they don't just wipe them out is beyond me, but I have never seen an eagle strike back. Great way to end the work day.

On the way up the hill from the lake we noticed our leeks have fallen over which is a sure sign it is time to harvest. If you have never cooked with fresh leeks, let me encourage you. The ones in the store are pretty tough.

I cut up four red potatoes and set them in a pan of water, then the green part of the leeks, I will save the white part for tomorrow. Use more leeks than you think is possible, they end up vanishing into the broth. A bit of red curry, sea salt and garlic and we are off to the races. It takes about 20 minutes to cook down and then I will poach a bit of true cod in the sauce. Yumms the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment