Friday, May 2, 2014

Rudy, Shanda, (Two Frogs Hugging), Harry, Deacon at CCL

Rudy and Shanda agreed to come to supper on Friday night. They are close friends, they share our desire to support missions. Rudy is one of my best friends on the Island. We have also invited Harry.  We had planned to be eating outside for the ocean view, so everything needs to be a cool food or served right off the range or oven one course at a time of the trade winds will cool the food. However, a lot of things changed and we served inside.

We will open with rice balls with turkey jerky inside.




Carrot, cabbage salad with garlic ginger tumeric egg white aioli dressing

This is also known as a coarse salad, essentially cole slaw with extra carrots and raw butternet squash. The dressing was your typical egg white aioli with garlic, tumeric and red pepper spicing.



Ardiente (fiery) chicken with rice cakes 

Made up a artichoke heart fresh tomato brown rice mixture. Cooked it with the lid on to make it stickier. Inside each rice cake is a piece of butternut squash. When guests arrive heat oven to 350 to warm the rice cakes. After, I pull this out of the oven, I will put in the dessert lasagne.

Fiery chicken, picked up a pack of organic chicken thighs from Costco when I was out in Lihue yesterday, put them on the chimera and when they cooled enough, put them in bags to marinate in their own sauce, will finish in a skillet.



Fennel polenta and grass fed sirloin steak

When I prepared the chicken for the Steve and Ana visit, I saved some of the smoky chicken broth, about a 1/4 cup. Then I added chicken broth and the polenta meal. In addition to the smoky broth and chicken broth, I also added salt, fennel, (as the ruling spice), and a pinch of red pepper. Try as I might my polenta always sticks to the pan and I always need to add more liquid. Anyway, got er done and wrapped in Costco cling wrap to let it set up.



Steak sauteed in a chimichurri style sauce

To accompany the polenta, the day before serving I walked up to Kojima store and bought some of the Kauai grass fed beef. Put all of the ingredients of a chimichurri sauce into the bag as a marinade.

At this point, the diners were out of gas, so I went to the dessert. The food below will keep till the next event since they are sitting right at 32/33 degrees. I will copy these dishes into that blog post next week. 

Dessert lasagne, (no noodles)

This is the style of food I call a tell. layer after layer. The main building blocks are ginger and almond flour with egg white as the "mortar". There is a dark chocolate layer, dried ground fruits and finally a mix of sweet and tart apples and blueberry.


No comments:

Post a Comment