Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Al Lago Ristorante Italiano - Bonney Lake

This is the closest restaurant to our house and we haven't been there in five years, but as we were headed home Kathy was hungry and I did not have anything "ready to go" so we stopped in.

Interesting to say the least, trying to be upscale while the floor manager is wearing shorts, but hey it IS the lake and that is part of the charm.

The food is good, not great, authentic, with a few nods to the PNW, but lacks the punch of great Italian cuisine.

We ordered a bottle of 2012 Tamarack Firehouse Red, a red blend, with an emphasis on blend:

• 29% Cabernet Sauvignon
• 22% Syrah
• 22% Merlot
• 11% Cabernet Franc
• 5% Malbec
• 3% Sangiovese
• 2% Grenache
• 2% Cinsault 1% Petit Verdot
• 1% Counoise
• 1% Mourvèdre and 1% Carmenere

I am no expert on wine, but many of the varietals I had never heard of before. Next visit to Total Wine I will try to see if I can find a bottle of some of these to see what they add. Anyway, the bottle of wine, good sipping wine, nothing to blow my mind, but an amazing blend. I am strongly considering trying to hunt down a bottle or two and taking it back to Hawaii to share with Rudy.

The food?

The bread service was warm and fresh, as an extra bonus, served by the most beautiful 8 year old lady in the world :), but the butter with sundried tomato was cold and ripped the bread.

We had the Steamed Clams as a starter. They were fresh clams for sure, but the broth lacked punch, so it was just steamed clams.

Kathy had the special, Steel Head Trout. It was cooked to perfection, but in the creases was some sort of candied bacon. Clearly a lot of effort went into it, but to what purpose? The mash potatoes were clearly from scratch, but again, edible, but nothing to take it over the top.

I had the Pollo Al Carciofini, I love chicken with artichoke hearts, olives, in a lemon sauce, but again it missed the mark. The chicken was abysmal, I left most of it. The pasta was cooked well, no small trick with angel hair and the vegetables were perfect. 

Bill before tip including tax was 100.10 which is a very fair price for a starter, two mains, and a bottle. My bill says Monday nights select bottles are half price, maybe when we get back we can try that with a salad. 

My doctor says I should limit myself to two drinks of wine, (there are four standard pours to a bottle, so if Kathy and I share, that is a bottle), no more than three times a week. So, I am trying to be very selective, not talking about $100.00 bottles, but no Little Penguin either. Also realize, I must sound like a food snob, but I would help these folks if I could. 

Biggest tip, don't be chinsy with the parmesan cheese. None was offered with either of our dishes, yet the menu speaks of import parm. = If you are going to be upscale Italian you need to anchor with either imported parmesan or olive oil and preferably both. There was neither at the table. 

Will we come back? I surely do not know, but I am glad they are here and wish them the best. And should it ever be possible that I could consult on an evening special some time, I would be honored, I might even be able to supply the fresh herbs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment