Sunday, May 25, 2014

Kauai to Bonney Lake/Sumner WA

Thursday 22 May, Keely drove us to the airport. They randomly selected Kathy, ( you know TSA PRE Kathy), for screening and went through every single part of her carryon. We were early enough we still had time to stick our heads in the lounge and say hi to Val, but elected not to stay for a drink.

United flight 362 was delayed, no radio, and I was happy to wait till they put in the radio before flying across the ocean. This was one of our last chances to be in first class on United, took the last of my miles. Bummer that the service was terrible. The flight attendants didn't even look at us. One total water service in a 5 hour flight, good thing we always bring our own. The younger, prettier one, had the total hots for the guy in front of us though, (no wonder we were invisible). She was down on her knees in the aisle multiple times and brought him so many drinks I wondered if he was going to fall over. She even brought him one last Heineken after we crossed 10,000 feet on the descent into SFO; never saw that before. The nice part about being invisible is that I left my headrest up and Kathy left her seat back, (and doing that didn't even crash the plane, I had always wondered).

Wierdly, the next leg of our flight was also United 362, but it was 23 gates away in a different leg of the terminal. So, we are already over 30 minutes late because of the radio, have to wait for the wheelchair. I am pushing the wheelchair for all I am worth. Though we have both flown millions of miles and I keep trying to tell myself, "so what if we miss the flight, we will just get a hotel room"; I was still getting stressed. And then the God_incidence. Coming at us is no other than Jim Manico; man he looks good, very calm and focused. He was willing to walk us to our gate. He and Kathy had a chance to catch up. The good Lord smiled, we made our plane, we were the next to last people to get on, (the last was the non-customer service oriented purser from our previous flight). This leg had good customer service, but it was a two hour, snack only flight.

The Starline limo people were there for us and the driver could see we were really hurting and was very helpful with the wheelchair and helping us get in the SUV. That was an error on my part, I wanted to be sure we had room for two checked bags, (mostly fabric from Kathy's stash on Kauai using the United Gold Status moving service), two carry ons and a wheel chair. But the mistake I made is that a SUV is higher off the ground, so Kathy had to climb. Well, we made it.

Got the alarm disarmed, activated the elevator, we pulled down the murphy bed, grabbed the pillows out of the cabinet two feet away and that is the last thing I remember.

Friday, we slept late, I got up twice to check my email to make sure there was no emergency. I did go out to WinCo for provisions, but that was it.

Saturday, we started to ease into this timezone, and decided to visit the Puyallup trail head to the Foothills trail. It was early enough that we could get a parking place.  There was someone in the handicapped parking spot, with no handicap sticker, but we were close enough on the side of the road that we could make into the parking lot and up the ramp. Lovely day, said hello to some nice people and met a really cool Scottish Deerhound, (I want one). As soon as we got back and finished lunch, (a chef salad), I went to town with my weedwhacker; things have really been growing. I use and electric one and the battery runs out pretty fast, so I put it on the charger and did some weeding till it was ready for another round.

Sunday, May 25 we both got up early, had a light breakfast of tart apples, oatmeal and dates with lowfat Greek yogurt on the side. I don't add any liquid, I just throw the elements in a skillet and lightly toast them. Simple variations include adding some egg white or nuts. I didn't have any dried cherries handy in my fridge or for sure I would have added them. Still had time to write this blog post and do my sword workout before church. Good start to the day.

Pastor Josh taught today, I thought he did well. The rain held off long enough for me to get a weed whacking session in, ended up filling the green waste container. Our small group is canceled for tonight and to be honest, I am thankful; we have been gone for three weeks and there is a lot to be done. It started raining, I worked for another hour then started to get cold. Then we heard Jim was hit by a car, (that is the next blog post after this). Mandy said we could help by bringing a meal, so I switched gears and went into cooking mode. After we delivered it we came back home and I made supper, ( Ahi, salad, brown rice/quinoa/sliced almonds).

I was still a little edgy after putting five courses together in 1.5 hours, (and seeing Jim with two casts on), so I put in a mindless movie, Flirting with Forty and opened our Sofia Rose. It is a Francis Coppola and doesn't hit that hard, 12.5% and is light on the palate. A gentle rose nose, a pleasing color, (Kathy says it is darker than most rose, I am not so sure), a light sweetness that serves as a wonderful dessert. Kathy wants to keep the bottle as a vase, boy we have had that conversation many times. This time we made a trade, if she will get rid of the pottery vase set of the same shape, yes, it can stay :) I do not think I will replace it with another Sofia, but I will stock another rose. Think less of me if you want, but it has been years since I had a Mateus, if we get one I will try to remember to blog the story of my first one; God, you shall see, sometimes works in VERY mysterious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment