Monday, February 17, 2014

Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Chicken and Spinach Pizza

I used up one half of the Costco rotisserie chicken yesterday on the coconut crust on three meats meal. As I am building for the Rijsttafel party, I need to manage the space in the fridge carefully so pulled the bird apart and diced the second breast.

My church small group has a couple that is lactose intolerant, Kathy needs to avoid gluten and that is challenging me to cook some of my favorites in a new way.

For the crust, I mixed equal parts corn meal and brown rice flour, and enough corn oil and egg white in the medium size Taramontina non-stick skillet, (both Costco and Wal-Mart have been selling the set of three for about $25.00, they are cheap pans, but they take abuse very well), to get a good consistency. Put it on the range to get the bottom done, then broil the top.
NOTE: should have added a bit of salt to the crust, it was a bit too bland.

I was out of tomato paste, so I had to resort to pasta sauce, (yikes). Put the sauce on, put the pan straight back in the broiler to deal with the excess water. After it had dried a bit and looked like a 50/50 tomato sauce/tomato paste mix would, pulled it out, added the chicken, put the spinach on top of the chicken, sprinkled minced garlic on top of the spinach and put it back in. Keep a close eye, you want to spinach to dry out some, but not burn.

What to substitute for the cheese? My vegan friends talk about using cashews, so I thought I would give it a try. WinCo sells broken cashews in their bulk section for next to nothing, so I filled up a bag, I used the blendtech to create cashew flour with 1/3 of the bag, the second third, I hit the pulse button a couple times to make smaller pieces and left the last 1/3 as they were. I used the mixture as my "cheese" and mixed in some spices like red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika and time. Then I drizzeled some olive oil and a touch of water to help encourage the cashew mixture to stay together.  One last trip to the broiler.

It all worked pretty well. I think I will try this again before bringing to shall group, but I am in the hunt.



No comments:

Post a Comment