Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Pulled Pork 4 ways

We are getting ready to take the new van on a shakedown cruise. Our budget for each small trip allows for one restaurant visits per day, (all of our hotels have breakfast included). However, Yogi will be coming with us, so we may have to eat in the vehicle or hotel sometimes. We have a plug in cooler and I am going to make some food for lunches, or suppers when that works best.

Step 1 the base.
I took a 2 lb sirloin roast, cut off all fat and ligaments, (cooked and gave those to Yogi), cut the lean meat in thick slices put in crock pot with 2 tablespoons marsala wine for a bit of sweetness and 1/4 c olive oil. For spice I used 2 tablespoons WinCo Backyard Rub, but any similar rub would do.
















After it is cooked we use portions for the various flavors. First is Southern BBQ, I use Ollie's Sauce from the famous Birmingham Alabama restaurant. You can still buy the sauce, if you live in the Lake Tapps area and want to split a case I am usually willing.

IMPORTANT: I take the time to label each batch, date and something to remind me of the ingredients. Over the years I have thought, I cooked it, I will know what it is, only to stare blankly at the vacuum sealed bag.




















The next flavoring is Szechuan. I use gluten free sauce, powdered ginger, some green peppers and peanuts. It was still too spicy so I added a small can of Mandarin orange slices.

Next, a sandwich spread. I add the mustard and mayo right into the meat and then cut some slabs of Gouda cheese. All we need is a place to spread it on GF bread and we are off to the races.
















Finally, something from the Caribbean, There were a couple spoonfuls of salsa left, 1/2 cup of rice pilaf, can of pinto beans, (rinsed), some parsley and an ear of corn. The controlling spice is Sazon Carribbean seasoning from Grocery Outlet. Kathy and I tasted it when it was finished and yumm!




No comments:

Post a Comment