Sunday, October 26, 2014

18 days of housseguests, Shari's, a windows computer

Lovely people all, but 18 days of house guests was insane. However, we all survived it. The day the last group left my Mac keyboard totally failed. I needed something to read email etc until they can repair my Mac. We decided to go to Costco and get a Windows box. The screenshots in my course need updating and I had been planning on doing this for a while. I ended up with a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series.

After three years on a Mac, the Windows operating system is a bit challenging, but I have Chrome, Firefox, Noscript and Ghostery installed. I am excited to play with the McAffe LiveSafe security suite. I am guessing it is a 30 day trial or some such. Have not loaded MS Office yet, but I will. The mail client is confusing sometimes, it seems to put both sent and received mail in the same inbox, but I will work with that or there is my friend Thunderbird. The Windows computer will not read my Mac timemachine backup and wants to reformat my iPod. I would have thought they were smarter than that, but I will get through it.

On the way to Costco, we decided to stop at Shari's, a restaurant chain, I had been curious about. I ordered the stuffed hashbrown platter with the 16 oz. T bone steak. Incredible presentation, great flavor and enough food for the next five days. Kathy and I took some of her leftovers after church and slow cooked the potatoes in a non stick pan till they were crispy, it was incredible.

/* Please forgive any spelling or grammar errors in this post, my new glasses should arrive in 10 days, though they will arrive in Seattle and we have airline tickets to Kauai after teaching in San Diego so that will be interesting at best. */


1 comment:

  1. Coming back to your favorite island...( or is Bora Bora still at th stop of your list?

    Let's do some whale watching while you're here...I have a new GoPro and would be fun to shoot some whales and their new babies!

    On the bit side of life, we have 3 Apples and 2 iPods and 3 iPhone in our office and I'm challenged with learning that system after 30 years as self taught PC goofball...

    ReplyDelete